Wednesday, August 1, 2012

aaliyah's baptism...

My 12 year old daughter, Aaliyah, is absolutely amazing!  She's so smart, bright, creative, and just a character of her own!  On the 21st of July, she got baptized.  This was a choice that she completely made all on her own.  My husband and I try to lead our children onto the straight and narrow path but we also allow them some room to think on their own - and getting baptized is one of the those things that I feel that should be chosen and not forced, and not until you fully understand the true meaning of baptism and have gained a testimony in what you believe.  Sitting with Aaliyah as she went through the discussions, I knew that she was absorbing everything that she was being taught, and that she truly understood it and also believed it.  During her first discussion as the missionaries gave a quick explanation of how it would work and what the meaning of faith was, there was a moment of silence, and then she pointed at the poor innocent boys sitting on our couch and said, "I've got faith in you guys, so you better not lie to me!"  DONE DEAL! The meaning of faith was fully understood by her!  I quickly laughed so that they could put their eyeballs back in their heads and laugh with me.

One of the most special things about her baptism is that my brother, Brady, baptized her and he and his family drove all the way from Montana to be here.  She chose my brother, Carter, to confirm her, and he and his family came from my hometown in Idaho.  And of course my mom was here, and we even left a seat open between me and Aaliyah for my dad.  It's been a long time since we have all been together as a family and have been able to sit around a table and talk and laugh and even tear up - that day after the baptism we were able to do just that at my house.  I never wanted the day to end.  It was an amazing day, for all of us.  We have so many wonderful friends and neighbors who gave Aaliyah so much support and love.

The night before the baptism, we scurried off and took her "baptism pictures."  Here are a few of my favorite, but you can see the rest of them on my Facebook page.






I'm so proud of you Aaliyah, and love you so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment